LINK TO ARTICLE HERE: Why English Majors Are The Hot New Hires
"As a business owner, you could gain an edge in the global marketplace and be better positioned for success with such multifaceted individuals in your camp. Have you hired an English major yet?"
My outline of the article, because if you aren't an English major, you probably don't want to read the whole thing and would rather just harvest the main points (or perhaps have an English major harvest them for you):
Why an English major?
1. Communication is at the heart of any business. English majors:
- a) have learned to speak well
- b) are well-read and have an extensive vocabulary
- c) spend years learning how to present a thesis coherently
- d) spend years learning how to construct an argument
- e) are trained to debate and defend their point of view logically
2. Surveys show 97 percent of business executives rate writing skills as very important.
- a) English majors—perhaps more than any other major—are trained to write well
3. Problem-solving skills are important for any business to stay competitive. English majors:
- a) are drilled in conducting in-depth research.
- b) are taught to deconstruct and analyze a problem
- c) are trained to package their conclusion so others can understand their line of thought
4. Customer, co-worker and competitor empathy leads directly to increased sales, better product development and better business efficiency
- a) studies have proven that those who read (and write) fiction frequently have higher levels of cognitive empathy, so when you hire an English Major, you're likely hiring someone who brings cognitive empathy to the table.
So why haven't you offered me a job yet? Your economic survival may depend on it. Get off your butt, business-person, and hire an English major!